APLH Personal Licence Application

A personal license is required to sell alcohol from a premise in the United Kingdom. Local councils issue Personal Licences that enable holders to authorise the sale of alcohol..

Delivered in partnership with Hurak



What is a Personal Licence?

A personal licence authorises an individual to sell or supply alcohol from licensed premises. It is not premises-specific, which means that the holder can work in any licensed premises within the UK. The Personal Licence is typically for bar staff, event managers, and those who work in the hospitality industry.

The Personal Licence also referred to as APLH, is issued by the local council and ensures that personal licence holders have the necessary skills and qualifications to operate lawfully while also maintaining a safe working environment for customers, employees, and coworkers.


To apply for a personal licence, you must:

  • be 18 years old or over
  • Hold a valid APLH qualification (this can be either the Level 2 Award in Responsible Alcohol Retailing or the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders). Click here to book your course.
  • have not been refused a personal licence or had one revoked in the last five years
  • Have the right to work in the UK
  • not have any unspent convictions for offences involving violence, drugs, fraud, or sexual offence

The Application Process – How to apply for a Personal Licence

If you meet the above criteria, you can apply for a personal licence by completing an application form and sending it to your local council, along with the following:

  • Your original APLH certificate or a certified copy – will be returned to you
  • Complete a DBS Check – The Disclosure and Barring Service or DBS (formerly CRB) check must be less than one month old and costs £25 for a basic check.
  • Two passport-size photographs of yourself, one of which must be endorsed ‘Certified to be a true likeness of …’ by a solicitor, Notary Public, person of standing in the community (such as a bank or building society official, a police officer, a civil servant or a minister of religion) or an individual with a professional qualification.
  • The correct fee – varies depending on the council

Your application will be processed within eight weeks. If the council needs more information from you, they’ll contact you.

If your application is successful, you’ll be issued a personal licence. However, if your application is refused, you can appeal to the local magistrates’ court.

How much does the Personal Licence Application Cost?

The fee for a personal licence application varies depending on the local council but is usually around £37. This does not include the cost of your DBS check, which costs £25 for a basic check.

Recent Changes – Renewing Your Personal Licence 

Your personal licence will need to be renewed every ten years. You’ll need to complete a renewal application form and send it to your local council, along with the following:

– your original personal licence or a certified copy – this will be returned to you

– the correct fee – this varies depending on the council

You’ll also need to provide evidence that you still hold a valid APLH qualification if it has expired since you were issued with your personal licence.

Lost or stolen personal licences

If your personal licence is lost or stolen, you must notify the police and your local council within seven days. You’ll then need to apply for a replacement licence, which will cost you £10.50.

If you change your name or address

You must notify your local council and the Licensing Register of any changes to your name or address within 21 days. There is no fee for this.


Personal Licence Course 

If you need to obtain your APLH qualification in order to apply for a personal licence, we offer the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) course. This can be completed online at a time and place convenient to you. Some of the topics covered in this course include:

  • Introduction to licensing law
  • The premises licence
  • The application process
  • Notification of the police and other responsible authorities
  • Operating schedule
  • Licensable activities
  • Conditions attached to licences
  • The rights of responsible authorities
  • Enforcement of licensing law
  • Unauthorised licensable activities
  • Review and revocation of premises licences

At the end of the course, there is a multiple-choice examination. Once you have passed the exam, you will receive your APLH certificate, which is valid for three years and you can use to apply for your APLH Personal Licence.

If you would like us to apply for your personal licence on your behalf, we offer a personal licence application service. We will complete the application form and submit it to the council on your behalf, along with all the required documentation. The cost of this service is £120.

Bulk Pricing

Discounts are automatically applied at checkout.


The personal license is a license issued by a local council to an individual who has completed the necessary training to ensure they hold all the skills and knowledge required to function effectively while maintaining legal safety standards when working in places such as retail, hospitality or special event industries where the sale of alcohol is taking place.


A Premises License is the license granted by a Licensing Authority to permit licensable activities, such as the sale of alcohol, to take place on-premises. Premises do not have to be a physical building and a Premises License can be granted for moveable structures such as beer tents and burger vans. Licensed premises include restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, hubs, bars, convenience stores, nightclubs, sports clubs, social clubs, premises for entertainment activities and casinos.


After you have done the Personal License training and examination with us, you'll need to apply for your personal license at the local council in your city. You will be required to pay an application fee to your local council. The council will then conduct a complete background check, after checking your qualifications and completing the mandatory background check, the licensing authority will send your Personal License to you.

Learners are required to email just one photographic identity document, common examples of these are: Passport of any nationality - Driving licence photocard of any nationality - Residence permit of any nationality - Valid EU photo ID card. If you don't have any of the above, please contact our office and speak to a member of staff for alternatives.

Yes, our Personal Licence qualification is accepted by all councils in Scotland.

The only prerequisite for this qualification is that you must be at least 18 years of age or older.

Yes, you can. Simply go to the Jobcentre and get them to book the course on your behalf or alternatively, book the course yourself and use the receipt we give you to have the funds reimbursed to you by the Jobcentre.

After successfully completing the course, you will receive an SCQF certificate that you can download and use to apply for a Personal Licence from your local authority.

If you are unsuccessful in passing the exam at the end of this course, you do not have to do the training again and will only need to retake the exam, you can book a resit by calling our office line and speaking to a member of staff.

A Personal Licence is required by anyone authorising the sale of alcohol from a Licensed Premises. All Licensed Premises must have an allocated Personal Licence Holder, known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). By law, the DPS must authorise every sale of alcohol otherwise selling alcohol can lead to various penalties, including a fine of £20,000 and up to six months of prison time.

Scottish law requires a personal licence holder to do a refresher training within five years of having received the licence, or else their licence gets revoked. The refresher is a ½ day course with an exam at the end. The course needs to be completed before the 5-year deadline comes to an end, and the evidence of the training must be sent to the relevant licensing authority at least 3 months before the end of the 5-year period.

Once you have accessed your course for the first time, you have 1 year to complete it.

Our e-learning is available to use on tablets, PCs, and laptops. All you need is a stable internet connection.

A learning management system or LMS is a software application for the administration, tracking, reporting, automation, and delivery of learning content. It is the system that learners will log into, to access their courses, and administrators will use to manage their learners.

The Tutorak LMS has been created with the needs of a business in mind; it reduces the time and effort required to administer training and features detailed reports on training progress. We have worked in partnership with many businesses and organisations and have gained a unique understanding of the challenges they face while delivering training to a workforce. This has allowed us to create a flexible system which can be modified according to the needs of your company.

When you purchase a course, you receive two emails, a payment receipt and login credentials to access the LMS. You can click on the link provided in the email to go to the login page and enter the provided details to log in to your account.

For the purchase of a single course license, you will be given details to access a learner account, where you can take your course directly. Any purchases above a single course license will automatically generate details for an administrator account for you to manage the learners that will be taking the course.

What is a Premises License, and why do you need one?

A Premises License is the license granted by a Licensing Authority to permit licensable activities, such as the sale of alcohol, to take place on-premises. Premises include stationary structures such as restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, hubs, bars, convenience stores, nightclubs, sports clubs, social clubs, premises for entertainment activities and casinos. Premises are also granted for movable structures such as beer tents and burger vans.

How Can I Apply for a Premises Licence?

The application for a Premises Licence is made to the Local Authority in the area where the venue will operate. When applying for the licence, you will need to provide your local council with personal details, and information about your Designated Premises Supervisor. Please contact your local council for more information as application processes may vary in different areas.

Do I need a DBS check for a personal license?

Yes! When applying for a personal license, you will need to submit a Basic DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) Check certificate. A Basic DBS Check is a criminal record check that will reveal any unspent convictions you may have.

What is the cost of a Personal Licence?

The application form for a Personal Licence costs around £37. You may also need to pay £25 for a DBS Check if you haven't got one recently. Please contact your local council for more information as these charges may vary in different areas.